Hurricane Delta Inches Closer To SWLA With New Track
The latest forecast track for Hurricane Delta is not looking good for SWLA as it inches itself over more westward according to the National Hurricane Center.
It's currently tracking NW at 17mph with sustained winds of 105mph. After leaving the Yucatan, Delta is expected to regain Category 4 strength as it enters the deep warm Gulf waters.
The speed of the storm is not doing SWLA any favors. The quicker the storm is moving, the longer it will take for the storm to start taking its expected northeasterly track after the low pressure front from our west pushes it east.
I keep hearing from all the meteorologists covering the storm that we won't truly know how Delta will interact with the front moving in until tomorrow. Hopefully, the low pressure front will put on its running shoes and hurry up and get down here to push this storm away from us.
We could see hurricane conditions starting as soon as Friday here in SWLA, according to the National Weather Service:
- Today - Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Northeast wind around 5 mph.
- Tonight - Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Thursday - Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Thursday Night - A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 72. Northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Friday - Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers likely. The rain could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Friday Night - Hurricane conditions possible. A 50 percent chance of showers. The rain could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.
- Saturday - Tropical storm conditions possible. A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Saturday Night - Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.