Grand Reveil Acadien Festival Tuesday In Lake Charles
The Grand Reveil Acadien is aiming to encourage all Acadians to participate in the continued expression of the native French language and culture by announcing a grand gathering of Acadians in Louisiana called the “Grand Réveil Acadien / Great Acadian Awakening”.
The Event will stop in Lake Charles this Tuesday October 11th and will be from 10am to 10pm on the Civic Center grounds. They will have food, live music plus you can talk to folks in French or you can even learn some.
Here is a list of all the events going on for the Grand Reveil Acadien this Tuesday and by the way it's FREE to go:
Tuesday, October 11th -
All events take place at the Lake Charles Civic Center, 900 Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles, LA 800.456.7952
10:00am-5:00pm: Genealogy Library display opens, Buccaneer Room.
11:00am-1:15pm: Welcome by Dignitaries, Exhibition Hall / Light Lunch
12:00pm-1:30pm: Papillion & Terrance Simien’s Creole for Kidz on stage, Rosa Hart Theatre
2:15pm-4:00pm: Genealogy Seminar/workshop in Buccaneer South Room. Keynote Speaker –Stephen White, Genealogist, Moncton University, New Brunswick, Canada
1:15 pm-2:15pm: Learn to Speak French, Buccaneer Room
1:15pm-2:15pm: Cultural Coffee Corner French Exchange, Buccaneer Room
4:00pm-10:00pm: Booths Open – Art Vendors; Local Restaurants, Cash Bar Opens
4:00pm-5:30pm: Lesa Cormier / Cajun French Music Association, dancing demonstration
5:00pm-6:00pm: French Wine Tasting (Ticketed event – limited registration), Contraband Room
5:00pm-7:00pm: Boudin Wars - taste and cast ballots for your favorite boudin shop
5:30pm: Tourism Representative provides Boudin Wars details; Introduction of French Immersion Students
5:30pm French Immersion Students Perform
6:00pm-7:30pm: Chris Miller & Bayou Roots Band
7:30pm: Announce the Boudin Wars Awards
8:00pm-10:00pm: Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience (Grammy Winning Artist)
(Off site) The Southwest Louisiana Genealogical & Historical Library, 411 Pujo Street, Lake Charles, LA (337) 721-7116, will remain open after hours from 5pm-8 pm for those interested in researching their family histories.
Wednesday, October 12th – Discover Lake Charles region / Tours
- Hit the Boudin Trail-The Southwest Louisiana Boudin Trail winds throughout Calcasieu Parish and parts of Cameron Parish. The trail has a brochure that plots out places to try boudin as well as attractions along the way. Visitors might want to drive part of the trail or stop in and pick up Southwest Louisiana’s favorite finger food – BOUDIN!
- Visit area parks- Sam Houston Jones State Park is a gorgeous place to explore nature, with hiking trails, picnic areas and majestic scenery
- GPS activated hand held video tour of the Creole Nature Trail-The CPS handheld video tour device is available for check-out free of charge at the Lake Charles / Southwest Louisiana Convention & Visitors Bureau, 1205 North Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles, LA (337) 436-9863. The knowledgeable staff at the bureau can provide visitors with French and English versions of the tour to take with them as they explore Louisiana’s outback.
- Visit the Mardi Gras Museum-The Mardi Gras Museum in Lake Charles houses the largest display of Mardi Gras costumes anywhere in the world. There are themes dedicated to various aspects of Mardi Gras from king cake to costume making to chicken runs and Mardi Gras royalty.
- Visit Local Art Galleries-The Imperial Calcasieu Museum is the treasure trove of history in Lake Charles / Southwest Louisiana. Furniture, jewelry fashion and documents, it is a peek into the lives of the founders of Lake Charles and the heyday of the lumber barons.
- Carriage rides through downtown Lake Charles (private bookings)-Local carriage companies will offer visitors a ride through downtown Lake Charles, along the lakefront and through the Charpentier Historic District to see the Victorian Mansions. There is also a detailed brochure on the historic district that guides visitors through the area, telling stories along the way.
Source: Grand Reveil Acadien website
So make plans to go out Tuesday and find out about the culture, heritage and Music that is Louisiana.