Cooking W/ Cajun Radio: Rabbit Stew
In recognition of the Iowa Rabbit Festival beginning today, today's Cooking with Cajun Radio teaches you how to cook rabbit!!!!
* 1 large rabbit
* 3 garlic cloves
* 1 onion
* 8 ounces bacon, in one piece
* 10 sprigs parsley
* 10 sprigs thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup red wine
* 1 cup small onion
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 12 new potatoes
* fresh herb (chervil)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
Change Measurements: US | Metric
Prep Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 2 3/4 hrs
1. 1 Chop rabbit into 12 pieces, discard the head and feet.
2. 2 Chop the onion and garlic finely.
3. 3 Slice and dice the bacon.
4. 4 Make a bouquet garni by tying together the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with string.
5. 5 Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole.
6. 6 In the same pan, fry garlic, onion and the bouquet garni.
7. 7 Add the bacon and allow to color lightly.
8. 8 Pour off excess fat.
9. 9 Return rabbit to pan and deglaze with the red wine.
10. 10 Add 3 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
11. 11 Peel small onions and remove root ends.
12. 12 Rinse well.
13. 13 Cook the onions in water to cover, add sugar, butter, salt and pepper.
14. 14 Cook until all water has evaporated and the sauce is caramelized.
15. 15 (20 min) Peel and cut potatoes into narrow rectangles.
16. 16 Add potatoes to rabbit stew after the stew has been cooking for 90 minutes.
17. 17 Cook covered until tender.
18. 18 Serve stew with caramelized onions and garnish with chopped chervil.
Try it and see if you like it. Make plans to come out this weekend to the 25th Annual Iowa Rabbit festival.