A Lafitte, Louisiana family’s home was destroyed by a spark from the popular self-balancing scooters, a.k.a. “Hover Boards, Level Boards, Balance Boards, Phunkee Duck, etc.”

Jessica Horne reportedly purchased the board for her 12-year-old son, and while charging the popular device burst into flames, according to WGNO.

Though there are numerous reports and video of people falling off hover boards, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has received eight reports of emergency room visits in the past three months, but none caused by fires, said the NOLA based news site.

The “hover board” is not considered a toy. People are encouraged to wear helmets, knee and elbow pads while operating the device. Consumers are also encouraged not to buy the cheapest models on the market.

Hopefully this information will help you decide if this is the right gift for your child, or someone you love. The concept is really no different than falling off of a skate board, trust me it hurts, but you get back up and try again.

Check out some hover board fails below.